Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Collateral

Oh, Michael Mann. I had a one big problem with Ali, its pacing. I found the middle part of that movie completely boring. Those parts consisted of Will Smith's Ali running on the streets of South Africa.
This time around, it's the same, only that instead of Will Smith running, Michael Mann gives us grey haired Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx driving a cab around L.A.. And again the whole hour after the first 20 minutes I found really boring.

I separate the movie in 3 parts:

1- The first 20 minutes. This is the part they showed us in the trailer. Foxx is a taxi driver and Jada Pinkett Smith gets in his car. He drives her to her destination, they flirt, and she gives him her number.
Now, we all know Jada, she's a pretty known actress, so It's obvious that her part is not done here, and that she's coming back at some point in the movie. And now is when Michael Mann makes his first mistake: he shows us Tom Cruise leaving the same building Jada is entering. We know they'll be back there and we know how the movie will end.
Cruise enters Foxx's cab and the night begins.
I found these first 20 minutes excellent. Jada and Jamie had this great chemistry and then Tom and Jamie start really good too. The music in the background was very nice as well.

2- Now the problems start for me, the next 60 minutes are the boring ones. And are the ones showcasing Tom Cruise bossing Jamie Foxx around. They drove and drove and drove and the really slow music (same as in Ali) killed me. I almost fell asleep.

[SPOILER]

3- The last 40 minutes of the movie woke me up and kept me on the edge. I loved it. Jada came back to the movie, or not, Cruise went back to the building to kill Jada.
The scene in the building was really good. And the train scene was better. I loved how it ended, and I appreciated that they didn't finished the movie with Jamie and Jada together.

[/SPOILER]

All in the all the movie is very good. Jamie Foxx is the star here and he's going to get a lot of recognition this year. I saw the trailer for his Ray Charles biopic 'Ray' yesterday and I'm giving him at least a Golden Globe nomination.