Saturday, July 24, 2004

1954's Godzilla

Went to Landmark's Art Cinema tonight and watched two movie, the first one being the American Premiere of the Original Godzilla (Black & White, in Japanese with subtitles) from 1954. Yes, it's hard to believe but the movie had never been shown before in the big screen before this past May when it opened in LA and NY.

Anyway, I remember that I saw it a child but I didn't remember it at all. It's one of those movie I know I've seen of course, but I don't remember it.

The movie is not the bad I expected it to be. Godzilla itself is well done, and the only stuff that looked really bad were the vehicles. Cars and Planes and specially the Trains you could easily see that were toys.

The houses and buildings looked ok, but when Godzilla was destroying them you would see some instants when you would say, "yeah, those where shoe boxes".

The actors are the worse of the movie, specially the girl. But hey, it was 1954, and this was one of the first big productions from Japan so I guess it's ok.

definitely worth seeing for movie lovers that haven't seen it on the big screen and want to :)