Friday, July 30, 2004

The Village *Spoilers*

I just got back from the movie and the only word coming out of my mouth is disappointment. I don't know what M. Night Shyamalan tried to do, but I expected more.

The idea is good. A Village in the middle of the woods that have lived isolated from society (they don't have electricity or money for example) for years, and generations have passed without nobody going out.
The elders have created this story which says that creatures have a truce with them, and if the villagers don't go into the woods, then the creatures won't come to the village.
Every once in a while the elders dress as creatures (in very good costumes) and scare the young villagers creating chaos in the village, which keeps everyone afraid to go into the woods and so it never happens. The Elders are 8, featuring the likes of William Hurt, Brendan Gleeson and Sigourney Weaver.

Then we have the love story. Adrien Brody plays what looks like a person with mental problems, though it's never explained. He's in love with Bryce Dallas Howard (Director Ron Howard's daughter in her debut film) who is blind and is in love with Joaquin Phoenix who is in love with her too.
We also have Judy Greer and Michael Pitt but they're not very important in the story.

What happens is that the morning that Howard and Phoenix decide to get married, Adrien Brody decides to repeatedly stab Phoenix to death in an act of jealousy. Too bad M. Night Shyamalan didn't spent a few minutes explaining Howard's and Brody's relation cause he didn't seem to love her, they seemed just friends.
He doesn't kill Phoenix though, but he ends up pretty bad and since they don't have medicine, Howard decides to go into the woods to go to "the towns" to get medicine.
Her father (William Hurt, who is the leader of the Elders), tells her the story and sends her into the woods to the towns. There, she's attacked by Brody in creature costume, but since she's blind she doesn't know. She uses a technique which is a game the children of the village play and dodges Brody's attack and he falls into a deep well and dies.
She finally ends up getting pass the woods and into the town, where a very nice police, after somehow understanding where she came from, helps her get the medicine and sends her back. And he doesn't tell anyone, including his boss, Shyamalan himself, in a little appearance like he always makes in his movies.
She gets back, the Elders learn that Brody is dead, but decide to keep it a secret and say to the rest of the villagers that the creatures killed him, and so keeping their story alive.
Howard gives Phoenix the medicine and the movie ends.

The performances are all good. Great I'd say. And I have to emphasize the greatness of Bryce Dallas Howard debut. She's blind, frightened and beautiful. I loved her.

The scares are good, there are just a few but are good. And the creatures looks very well done.

So that was The Village. I don't know what, but something was missing. Shyamalan reshot the ending last month so I don't know what the original one was but this one I didn't like and all in all is a very disappointing movie.

UPDATE: I've been thinking about the movie a lot, because the way it ended really disappointed me. It ended in nothing that made me say "wow". But looking at the movie now, I have to change my view of it, and give it more points. I'd like to add that the story is an original one, which is very good. So even if the movie disappoints in the twists for me, maybe it was cause I love Shyamalan's movies and I wanted it to be much better.
I'd like to repeat that the performances are excellent, though some are wasted (Greer and Pitt), and those 2 things, performances and story, makes it a good movie after all.
Shyamalan's fans are going to be disappointed, but those who just want an original movie will love it.