Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Beyond the Sea

Kevin Spacey surely worked hard in this movie, as he produced, directed, wrote and starred in it, and the final result is just a masterpiece. Oh yeah, he also danced and sang all the songs himself.

Beyond the Sea is the story of Bobby Darin, one of the top entertainers of the 50s and 60s, who's never gotten the recognition that others from his era like Frank Sinatra have, but that Spacey has admired since forever, and he knew it was his job to bring it to the big screen, and thank him for that, because for someone like me who's never heard the name Bobby Darin before, I am now very interested, specially because when Spacey started to sing, I actually knew most of the songs, I just didn't know they were Darin's work.

I have to put emphasis in Spacey, who was just perfect, and I'm very happy that he got a Golden Globe nomination, because in this very busy Holiday season, with lots and lots of movies fighting for Awards coming out all at the same time, Beyond the Sea is already being ignored.
The rest of the acting was excellent too, starting with Kate Bosworth playing Darin's wife Sandra Dee. Her first big scene kind of puzzled me though: she was crying, but they made close ups to her face more than once and she had no tears in her eyes, she was not crying. And her eyes weren't any close to start to cry either. It looked really weird. Still, I believe Bosworth has it in her to be a great actress.
I also really liked the kid playing Little Bobby Darin (William Ullrich) who I thought I've seen him before but no, it was his debut. He was good.

The central part of the movie was too melodramatic maybe and kind of slow, but it showed some of the best acting. That minor detail it's forgiven by a first hour and a last half hour that were just excellent and really entertaining, which coincidentally were the ones that contained the music.