Saturday, December 11, 2004

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Lemony Snicket is a good movie, with a feeling of Tim Burton and Jumanji that make for weird, great stuff, but overall is too much for kids, with just some performances to love for the adults.

Jim Carrey is great as Count Olaf, and though everybody is fascinated by his performance here, I think he was better as the Grinch a few years ago, and better yet in many of his other movies being the comedies or dramas. Maybe is just cause I didn't like the character very much.

The kids I did like, specially Violet, played by Emily Browning, she's great. The unfortunate events happen to them, but they don't panic, they play it cool and find a way to figure everything out. Baby Sunny was lovely too and I really liked how the movie translated her 'monkey' talk.

Then there are a lot of other characters, like Meryl Streep's Aunt Josephine which I didn't like, Timothy Spall's Mr. Poe and Billy Connolly's Uncle Monty who I did like. There's also Count Olaf's gang formed by Luis Guzman, Craig Ferguson, Jamie Harris, Jane Adams and Jennifer Coolidge, a great group totally wasted, as they're just there to show us that Count Olaf has a group, but they have nothing to do in the movie (some of them don't even talk).

Overall the movie is ok, but not the very good I was expecting if it didn't blow me away. And the story was a problem for me, too many coincidences with Jumanji I guess, but I didn't care for it.