Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I Heart Huckabees

This is a movie I'll need to see a few more times. I understood everything that was happening in I Y Huckabees, but I have no idea what writer-director David O. Russell meant by it.

The movie plays with the meaning of it all and existentialism, which is no easy thing to explain, and I'm not going to.
All the characters talk about it, and it sounded great, but after the movie ended, I don't know what they finally found or realised.

Excellent performances from a very impressive cast that includes Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, Isabelle Huppert, Naomi Watts, Jude Law, and the two better ones, Mark Wahlberg and Jason Schwartzman who are brilliant.

The score is worth talking about cause it's great, composed by Jon Brion who also worked on the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind score. Both are very similar but different, and great.

I Y Huckabees is a great movie right now (one of the best of the year, not top 5, but up there), with beautiful performances, an excellent score, and lots to think about, and when I get to that, I'll understand its meaning, which I'm sure It'll be after a few more viewings. I'll take a little work, this isn't for everybody, but for me, after I get it, I know I'll love it even more.