Friday, September 02, 2005

2046

A sequel to 2000's In the Mood for Love, Wong Kar Wai is back with 2046, a confusing story of a writer who falls in love with different women that are staying in the room 2046 in a hotel in Hong Kong in the mid 60s. He's in room 2047. He's writing a story about a futuristic train that takes you to 2046, a place where you can go to find lost memories, though nobody knows what exactly happens there because nobody has ever come back, except for one person.
The different stories are happening at all times during the movie, and all of them involve the same characters, Tony Leung's Chow as the writer and the 4 beautiful women he has meets are Ziyi Zhang's Bai Ling, Gong Li's Su Li Zhen, Faye Wong's Wang Jing Wen and Carina Lau's Lulu/Mimi. There's also Maggie Cheung as a robot named slz1960. Cheung was with Tony Leung in In The Mood for Love.

The acting is excellent, and I read somewhere that the characters speak all different languages: Chow speaks Cantonese, Bai Ling speaks Mandarin, and Tak (Takuya Kimura) speaks Japanese. Very interesting though it made no difference for me because I was just reading the subtitles. The cinematography and costumes are also a high point of the movie, even though the scenes of the future look out of a videogame, but it's supposed to be that way I think, so it worked fine. And I'm so glad Wong Kar Wai decided to use colors this time instead of the blue cinematography he used in The Hand, his segment of Eros.

The movie is super slow paced, though that didn't bother me much, what really bothered me and almost made me fall asleep, specially during the first 45 minutes or so, was the camera work. The director just points at an actor or a background and keeps showing the same nothingness (the no dialogue during lots of these scenes) for so many seconds that at times I'm sure it was minutes. This drove me crazy to the point where I actually wanted to scream at the screen to go on with the story.
2046, as its actresses, is beautiful and interesting while confusing at the same time, but the slow pacing and camera work make it fail to entertain, and so it ends up boring more than anything else.