Thursday, May 19, 2005

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Despite being a pretty big fan, I have not been super excited about Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, mostly because the other 2 prequels don't come even close to the classic and perfect originals. Between The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, I prefer Episode I, just because I had more fun with it, while Episode II was way too political, and the love story between Anakin Skywalker and Senator Padme Amidala just sucked big time, and the fact the Anakin is (or was in Episode I) like 10 years younger than her was just wrong.
Now compared with this third and presumably last Star Wars movie, I'm still not decided which one is better: Episode I is still the most fun and Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Jinn ruled, while Episode III has way too much stuff going on, which works at times but doesn't at others, and I just have too many complaints about it, beginning and ending with mastermind creator, writer and director George Lucas' script and the way he portrayed some of the characters in this movie.

I'll start with what I liked so this doesn't turn into a complete Star Wars bashing. First and center Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi. Just freaking cool all the way around. And he truly looks like he'll be the great old Obi-Wan in the years to come. He gets some really great scenes and McGregor delivers perfectly.
Also excellent was Yoda, but he's one of my favorite characters ever so I'm biased, but still, I really liked him all the time, and specially during the final scenes when he comes to the decision that the remaining Jedi's should hide and at the same time hide and protect Luke and Leia (more on them later).
And I say remaining Jedis because as we all know, they all had to die (except Yoda and Obi-Wan which were the only ones in the originals) and they die gloriously, but the movie's rating and lack true violence made the scene, a series of scenes where the Jedis are being killed one by one (even the little children), less satisfying than it should have been have Lucas had the balls to just come out with a Rated R version of the movie.
The much expected fight beetween Obi-Wan and Anakin at the end of the movie is really a classic. Great choreography and just brutal. And again, Obi-Wan is just perfect when showing his feelings telling him how he was supposed to be the one.
Ian McDiarmid's Chancellor Palpatine was a real surprise. Great acting and just a great character which basically is in charge of everything that happens in this and the next movies. The way he manipulates Anakin to kill Count Dooku is just awesome and then when he turns the dying Anakin into Darth Vader is another classic moment.
Something else I really liked despite being just a few sentences, was Obi-Wan and Yoda's conversation at the end of the movie about how the Jedis can still still be present after death, explaining the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin at the end of the saga in Return of the Jedi.
Baby Luke's fate at the end of the movie is handled really well and makes for a poetic ending.

I then have mixed feelings towards the other great characters of the classics, C-3PO, R2D2 and for the first in the prequels, Wookie warrior Chewbacca. The droids are separated most of the time, and C-3PO has way too little screen time, and he's just useless delivering a few lines that don't matter at all. On the other hand, R2D2 does way too much including getting into a fight, which looked good but at the same time was kind of lame the way it happens. Also, the way it's explained why they don't remember in the originals about what happens in these prequels is just lazy writing, and it seems as if Lucas remembered about it the last day of filming and just put it there at the end and as a one line for a secondary character, when it should've been Yoda or Obi-Wan the ones deciding that.
Chewbacca and the Wookie Warriors' appearance is cool but completely unnecessary, only there to get disappointed fans of the previous prequels excited about this one. Despite that, Chewbacca has a great scene with Yoda at the end of the movie.
Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu was also a disappointing character and his death was not near as cool as Jackson said it would be.
And I mentioned Baby Luke before as something I liked, but Baby Leia is a different story, because she ends up with Jimmy Smiths' Senator Organa and his wife, which doesn't explain at all why is she a Princess in the originals.

What I didn't like? Lots of things, starting by Natalie Portman as Senator Padme Amidala. Another useless character with almost nothing to do but cry and complain and copy Leia's hair. And the character is really different from the previous prequels, so I'm blaming Lucas and his writing for this.
Also his fault is the existence of the Clone Wars series and the Star Wars books, because he put some things in this movie that make sense only having seen and read those, and so in the movie they end up being stupid. One of these things is General Grievous's sickness and coughing, apparently because of a heart attack during the Clone Wars. And then Padme's out of nothing decision of the names Luke and Leia for the babies. She gives birth to one, Obi-Wan hands it to her and she cries the name, and then the other comes out and the same happens. How did she come up with the names? Well, apparently there's a whole chapter in the book about Anakin and Padme picking names for their future children, but not even a mention of that in the movie. And how did Chancellor Palpatine came up with Darth Vader's name is also a mystery which should've been explained.
Other thing that bothered me was Christopher Lee's Count Dooku only-beaten-by-BobbaFett's death. In Episode II he beat Yoda, and almost killed Obi-Wan and Anakin, but here Anakin kills him in less than 3 minutes. Yes, I understand that Anakin is more powerful now but still, it was too quick and easy. And the lightsaber fights kind of got old after so many times.
Finally, Hayden Christensen's Anakin Skywalker. These prequels have been all about this character, and I am not happy with Christensen work. Maybe it's the way the character is writen but I just didn't care for him at all.
And Vader's final scream when he lears that he'd killed Padme is just a horrible scene that really ruins the movie's poetic final moments.

I've also found out why is it that I can't get myself to love these prequels, and the reason is that Han Solo is not on them, nor is anybody even close to his coolness and real person behavior. Because I found myself bored at many times during this movie, and it was because of the protocolar dialogue delivered by the completely protocolar cast of characters. Han Solo would never talk like this, and his dialogue is what is missing from these prequels.

And so I am disappointed with Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, maybe I was looking for perfection, which I knew I wasn't going to get, but still, I just have too many complaints compared to what I liked and so the result for me is negative. Still, I know repeted viewings will make me like it better and probably convince me that it's the 4th best Star Wars movie after the originals. Should the prequels never have been made? Sometimes I think so, but no, they're necessary because of the magnitude of the originals and the greatness of Darth Vader. Should Lucas make sequels to the originals now? Let's hope he keeps his word and never makes them. May the Force be with him on that, and with us, as we try to continue our lives knowing that there wont be new Star Wars movies anymore.